Saturday, June 18, 2011

Hell Week, Day One

   Well it has begun.  Hell week begins with a 6.5 mile workout.  A new tradition has begun.  Every Friday night is a return, a pilgrimage to that storied track of mine.  Last week there were at least 20 people jogging and walking.  This week about 12, in small groups of 2 and 3, spread over a 3 hour block of time.
   It is not about them, this what I do, is about progress and improvement.  Not a major bump, but tonight I realized in the latter half of my own workout that this journey of mine is going to be chalk full of scrapes-bruises-soreness, and just downright pain.
    Grit and determination.  It is pretty evident that I pulled my left leg calf muscle tonight in my run, jog, walk, spring combination.  Re-instill discipline.  There will be no running for one week.  Still workouts, but zero running.  I managed to walk out the pull after stabilizing it.  I walked it out for 2 more miles.  It is going to hurt and throb tomorrow like a sonovagun.  Massaged, and prepped for the ride home.  No problem already feels a bit sore, but it is lightly wrapped for the night to prevent out of control swelling.
  Today was tough.  On the bright side instead of consuming 3 meals in post recovery shut down for the night, It was kept at about 300 Calories.  I did not feel like I was going to die, and my body does not feel nearly as depleted.  The workout breathing has improved, and I have seen my HR/BP dial back to near normal, finally, for the first time in more years than I want to remember.
   In 2 days I will hit a short 2 mile trail hike.  Then we will see for next week.  Looks like some hard core body workouts, and dial back the distance workouts until next Friday.  Next friday will see a very light version of tonight for only 6 miles, provided the calf is doing okay.  Can not afford muscle tears.  It seems and acts like a minor pull, as it has yet to swell up.  Keeping it working should help the recovery, which will hurt like hell, but come out undamaged, just touchy pain nerves. 
   This is a small bump, as I knew there would be and will be many, that is livable and does not change the dynamic of training.  More motivation to ditch 40 pounds in 4 months.  That will have a significant reduction of injury risk factor for sure.  Tired of looking at the extra person anyway!

   On the way.  This won't be easy.  It will test my mettle everyday.  It will be the next toughest thing I ever do.  But this is my journey.  This is the path that I have chosen.  For me, this is the right way.  Grit and Determination will get me through, once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment